Consular Report of Birth Abroad



If you are a U.S. citizen and have a child overseas, you should report his or her birth as soon as possible so that a Consular Report of Birth Abroad can be issued as an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship. Report the birth of your child abroad at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. citizen is only issued to a child who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth and who is generally under the age of 18 at the time of the application.

The U.S. embassy or consulate will provide one original copy of an eligible child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen.

Persons who acquired U.S. citizenship or U.S. nationality at birth in one of the following current or former territories or outlying possessions of the United States during relevant time periods are not eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen because such persons are not considered to have been born abroad. Individuals born in these locations during the relevant times may establish acquisition of U.S. citizenship or non-citizen nationality, based upon the applicable agreement or statute, by producing their birth certificate issued from the local Vital Records Office along with any other evidence required to establish acquisition:
Puerto Rico
S. Virgin Islands American Samoa
Swains Island
The Panama Canal Zone before October 1, 1979
The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands after January 8, 1978 (8PM EST)
The Philippines before July 4, 1946

Documents to be prepared:

Unsigned, completed Application for CRBA. DO NOT SIGN! At least one parent must be present to submit the DS-2029. If the S. citizen parent is not present, they must have their signature(s) on the DS-2029 or on the supplemental DS-5507 notarized by a U.S. notary or at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. If the applicant was born out-of-wedlock to a U.S. Citizen father, the father must complete section 28 of the DS-2029 or the DS-5507 in front of a consular official or a U.S. notary.

All applicants should pay attention and complete in full sections 24 and 25 of the DS-2029, which must be completed before we can process the Child’s Birth Certificate with certified English translation and one photocopy Evidence of parents’ S. citizenship and photocopy. Provide identity evidence of S. citizen parent(s) (e.g. U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization) before the child was born. If the U.S. citizen parent is not present, submit a notarized true certified copy.

Passport/Identification for non-U.S. citizen parent with certified English translation and one photocopy
Parents’ marriage certificate, with certified English translation and one photocopy, if applicable
Divorce and Annulment Decrees/Death Certificates, if applicable

You must submit the original(s) plus a certified English translation, if applicable.
Evidence of physical presence in the United States

Provide documentary proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s five years physical presence in the United States, before the child’s birth, two of which must come after the age of fourteen. Acceptable documentary proof would be: academic records, official school transcripts, tax records, Social Security statement, etc. You may request your social security records online at .
Evidence of parents’ concurrent physical presence in Vietnam (or another country)

Provide evidence of both parents’ physical presence in the same state/country at the time of the child’s conception (e.g. visa stamps, airline tickets, airline printouts, etc.).
Evidence of child’s birth and prenatal records

Please provide additional evidence regarding the child’s birth (e.g. hospital/pre-natal records, sonograms, photos of the mother while pregnant).

Unsigned, complete Application for a U.S. Passport (DS-11), Do not sign!
Photo of applicant

Submit 2 passport photos (5cm x 5cm) taken within the last six months. The photo must show full ears and have a white background.
Statement of consent for non-present parent

Children under 16 require both parents/legal guardians to come in person to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. If one parent/guardian cannot visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, he/she must submit a signed and notarized original Statement of Consent (DS-3053). The document is valid for 90 days after the date of signature.
Social Security Number

Since October 1, 2017, the U.S. Embassy/Consulate no longer serves as a liaison abroad for receiving application for social security number. Parents wishing to apply for your child’s social security number must now do so through You also may apply for your child’s Social Security number when he/she arrives in the United States. Please contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) in the United States directly.

The fee for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad is $100. The fee for a child’s passport under 16 is $105; for those 16 and over, the fee is $135. The cashier accepts cash and credit cards accepted in the United States (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, or Diners Club)

Schedule An Appointment

We Gladly Accept



All the information on this website is for general informational purposes only and is NOT legal advice. Do not, under any circumstances, rely on information found on our website as legal advice. We are an Immigration Consultant firm, registered with California Department of State, and has been undergone criminal and financial background check at the statewide and nationwide level. We are not a law office and do not provide legal advice nor represent you in your immigration matter. Immigration Consultant Bond #: SU50757



    2016 Lewelling Blvd, San Leandro, CA
    94579. United States
    510-346-568 – Fax: 925-459-6789
    154/4/5 Nguyễn Phúc Chu, P.15,
    Q. Tân Bình, TP. HCM
    0911190550 – 01285649289
  • Monday – Friday: 9:30 am to 5:30 pm
    Saturday: 10:00 am đến 04:00 pm
    Sunday: Closed.